Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The List #16-20

My personal fave: No doubt Local H "Bound for the Floor"



I don't necessarily remember my initial encounter with said song but I remember being very keen on the way they, well, kept it copacetic. Remember The Edge? What was it...94.7 FM or something? Nineties lake/summer music, thriving youth, flesh and all that. Yea for nineties tunes. Soundtrack of my life thus far.

Side note: Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge" " I didn't vote for this one, mainly because I forgot about it. I remember seeing the video and thinking Anthony Kiedis looked like one of my dad's friends - and still does- which is only slightly strange. Cindy, if you ever read this, remember Michaela's dad? Riiiiiggght. This is also the song you can expect a million people to sing along with until you get to the end...for those of you whom this describes : Under the bridge DOWNTOWN...for some reason, I get annoyed when people sing the wrong words. I am guilty as well, however. Favorite RHCP song, personally? Soul to Squeeze.

Blind Melon: Kick ass band that I can safely assume the majority of the people taking pleasure in Chris' listing would only naturally be piqued that mainstream radio failed to play out the rest of their work half as much or that the band was established by the cutest ever bumblebee girl ever. God bless her. Fave BM song: Change makes me wanna scream "shaaaannnnoooonn" all rocky style.

The Flaming Lips: "She don't use jelly" is the most excellent illustration of mainstream. Why? Because essentially most of what the band engaged with in terms of sound and progression was definitely not radio friendly in terms of the popularity of the music we are defining with this list (Really, not until Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots with "Do you realize" --which I don't know if you realize, but this song was featured in a Mandy Moore movie, How to Deal, which I of course watched. My fave FL tune: "feeling yourself disintegrate" or "thank you". How cool are the Lips? My friends know. We all saw this...um. Meg, first concert ever pretty much blew it out of the water I would say.

Beck: Beck is beck. enough said really. "Loser" brilliantly manifests the 90's, me thinks. I cannot believe I left this off my list. Yikes. Fave Beck song: devil's haircut (for the 90's) lost cause live no less(for his astute negotiation with new sound)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Local H song is "Eddie Vedder". You better be going with me, Tyler and Aaron to this show.

The EDGE was awesome. I had tapes and tapes (not Tapes 'n Tapes) of stuff that I recorded off that station. Probably still do somewhere.

I voted for "Under the Bridge", but I'm never sure if I like it better than "Soul to Squeeze". But I had to vote for "Under the Bridge" because it is the first "alternative" song I ever remember hearing. So that's something.

Blind Melon was awesome (maybe they still are, but I can't imagine them without Hoon).

"Feeling Yourself Disintegrate" and "Evil Will Prevail" are my two favorite Lips songs, but I voted for "She Don't Use Jelly" since it was my introduction.

"Mellow Gold" was among the first five CDs I ever bought.

I'm loving the commentary.

angela said...

LONG LIVE THE EDGE