Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The list #11 -15

Oh shit.. now it's really getting good. I do believe I got excited and left off some of the finest nineties tunes I really love. Thank goodness Chris is on top of things. Here we go:

My fave (this is actually quite hard, each of these except Black Hole Sun-which i did mull over--were in the top half of the list I originally sent sir chris) I'm going to have to go with Creep because it brought a whole new light over the popularity of the band; and i do recall Arsenio Hall taking credit for their new found success post song/band appearance on his show. ugh



And now, the Oh why's.

Creep is by far not even close to my favorite Radiohead song. Is it, however, the only one I would call mainstream, hence it's favorable place here on the list. Radiohead belong somewhere far away from mainstream. I don't understand them really. I do, obviously, love them. I want to protect their sound from assholes who don't get it. Yep, I'm one of those fans. I'm okay with that. Fave radiohead song: I honestly don't have one, I have like four. fave video is Paranoid Android for it's cleverness

Soundgarden...I like this band. I don't love them. I like this song quite a bit. It always makes the 90's mix that accompanies my husband and I on music mix date night. It's pretty. Not to mention, Chris Cornell is pretty. I liked a song he sang when he went solo..something along the lines of "she's going to change the world, but she can't change me." I kind of think of the group the way I think of Audioslave. hmm. really? (Soundgarden is better me thinks). but Chris and Morello did do a pretty kick ass version of Seven Nation Army at Lollapalooza in, hmmm, i think 2002. Fave Soundgarden song: Spoonman or Fell on Black Days

Candleboxe "Far Behind," Bush "Glycerine," and Third Eye Blind "Jumper" all made my list. Visit Chris' site for the videos. Awesome songs, awesome bands, totally underrated in my opinion. all of them. Gavin I'm in love with. Stephen Jenkins seems like an asshole-but he can sing no doubt. and I even loved Kevin Martin in the Hiwatts. Shout out to all who went with me to see them at the Zoo Amphitheater. Oh. That's right. No one went with me. It's okay. I thoroughly enjoyed them all to myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Creep" always gets the short end of the stick from "true" Radiohead fans and especially the band. And, yeah, it ain't even close to being one of their best songs. But in 1993 it was a fucking blast of awesome. We had no idea what we'd later be comparing it to.

(I'm seeing Radiohead at Lollapalooza! Missed my chance at the Dallas ticket, but ran to the computer when I found out RH, NIN, and Rage were headlining in Chicago).

"Superunknown" is a great album and this was a great heavy psychedelic pop song. And the video was way cool.

Candlebox are almost treated like the early '90s version of Creed or Nickleback...but that first album had some great songs on it. I'm not going to pretend like I didn't like their hits. Probably my least favorite band that made the final list, but I still dig.

I wore my ratty old Bush t-shirt yesterday, which helped to spark some discussion at Papa G's about how underrated "Sixteen Stone" is. That thing had like five solid gold pop hits, and the non-singles were pretty much awesome too. And "Razorblade Suitcase" wasn't bad either.

"Jumper" is actually not one of my favorite songs from the first Third Eye Blind album, but it was way popular on this list. I still listen to that album on a pretty regular basis.

Melissa said...

black hole sun is one of my faves. it made my workout playlist.
I didn't see Heart Shaped Box on here or Loser.
classics

angela said...

Bush will always be one of my fave bands and all of these albums somehow find their way back into rotation.

melis! I knew you liked to rock out...!!!